bean salad (by ericaaaaa)
Bean Salad is one of the ultimate “Oh God It’s So Hot I Can’t Possibly Cook ANYTHING” foods.
You’ll need some basic essentials: beans, oil, acid (I like citrus!), and herbs.
1. Choose your beans. Garbanzos are an easy classic, white beans always feel classier than most beans, and black and pinto are great together.
2. Make your dressing. Choose your acid based on the beans - lemon juice goes really well, lime with pinto, white beans, maybe white wine vinegar? But it doesn’t really matter, these are just suggestions so you’re not totally lost in the bean salad world.
Take an old jar and squeeze the juice of a lime or lemon until you have a couple of tablespoons or so. I like to add a clove of minced garlic cause I like garlic. Then pour in some olive oil (measuring is for suckers), add salt and pepper, and shake.
3. Rinse your beans (I’d say two cans) and chop your herbs. Parsley goes well with garbanzos, and cilantro is great with black beans. But again! Just guidelines! This is also the bonus round where you can add whatever veggies you have that might go well with your beans. Red pepper? Tomato? Green beans? Corn? Peas? Go nuts! Chop ‘em up!
4. Mix everything together (beans, dressing, herbs, extras) in a lovely bowl. Add salt and pepper if needed.
5. Now when you’re hungry and sweaty and needing sustenance, you can just grab this and eat straight from the bowl. Hooray!